Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Theseus and Hippolyta
I have not seen the 1981 version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but earlier today I did watch the 1991 “Hollywood” version (as Professor Britland puts it) with Bale and Flockhart. I know she warned us about how horrible it was, and I completely agree considering it took such a shallow analysis of the play as a whole, but I did think that this particular version had some interesting input in its interpretation. For instance, instead of Hippolyta being completely under Theseus’ control and with no ability to say what she believes, she was portrayed as the one controlling him. I’m not necessarily a huge fan of admitting that Theseus has such absolute control over her throughout the play, even though that may certainly be the case, because it is simply too frustrating. I was able to appreciate then the fact that they had Hippolyta as the person standing up to Theseus and persuading him to excuse the lovers in the end of all they were accused of (even if it was in a sort of a pathetic pouty way that got on my nerves). So really, I was just wondering if anyone else had watched the horrid Hollywood version and if so, what they thought of it. The different ending was pretty thought provoking. As well I wanted to see if anyone else had any input on Theseus and Hippolyta’s relationship, whether it be another viewpoint or just something interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have seen the Hollywood version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and I completely agree that it’s heinous. The biggest issue I have with it now is its portrayal of the relationship between Theseus and Hippolyta. While I also don’t like that Theseus clearly dominates Hippolyta throughout the play, I think it is essential to the storyline. The fact is, Theseus won Hippolyta in battle. This makes the interactions between the two very interesting because it makes you wonder if there is any real love there or if it is all domination. The Hollywood movie doesn’t leave this up to the viewer. They make Theseus and Hippolyta a love match, and in so doing, they leave out what I think is an important aspect of the play. As a side note, I also disliked the way Hippolyta acted in the Hollywood version. Even though she did seem to dominate Theseus, she was a weak character overall.
Post a Comment