Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Age and Shakespeare

Isn't it weird how as we age we can develop different opinions of the same thing?  I agree with Jay's post very much.  Everything that happens seems a bit ridiculous to me as a man in college.  Back in high school, 9th grade for me as well, this play seemed so innocent and lovey-dovey.  I can attribute this change in opinion to a simple change in maturity level since 9th grade.  We are now finding out that love doesn't quite work like it does in Romeo and Juliet.  Back in 9th grade, all we really knew about dating was this: step one: notice a cute girl/guy, step two: talk to them, step three: hold their hand in the hallway.  In a sense this is what is happening in Romeo and Juliet, and it makes sense because they are only 14!!!  Even stil, Romeo and Juliet still serves a purpose to us older college students and adults.  I haven't quite figured out exactly what lesson Bill is trying to teach is, but I know there is one.  Perhaps this is why Shakespeare has stood the test of time...His plays can mean different things to different aged people.  Everyone of all ages can take something away from Bill's work, and that is a rare find in any kind of theatre or literature.  

No comments: