Sunday, December 14, 2008

Leontes' character

Some of Leontes mood changes seemed to happen so fast that I had a hard time believing them. He starts out calm with his suspicion of his wife’s infidelity, but that just explodes into wanting to destroy his family. Then when he succeeds in doing that he suddenly feels sorry for it. None of these emotions really seem genuine to me since the only reason his requests get followed through with is because he’s king and they are so brief. I’m kind of glad that the story just breaks off at the end of one of his fits and switches tone to characters who are more stable. Even when he is reintroduced as a repentant king I’m still not convinced that he’s truly sorry, especially at the end when there’s that moment when he thinks his wife really did cheat on him. Out of all the tyrant kings that we have read about Leontes is the least well-defined or believable one.

No comments: