Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Shakespeare's Message
I feel that every shakespeare play teaches a lesson, and the one taught in Othello is a very important one. Number one, you need to be able to trust your significant other and they need to be able to trust you. It must be mutual. It simply does not work when you're constantly wondering if your significant other is "cheating" on you. As we see in Othello, it causes Othello to kill his wife, I mean cmon dude! Othello believed his peers more than his own wife, and that's a BIG mistake. Number two, if you don't trust your significant other, break it off or learn to trust them quickly. Number three, don't violate the codes of dating and marriage! It always amazes me how so many people "cheat" on their S.O.s. Don't do it! The main root of this problem seems to begin with communication. If you can't talk to your S.O. about everything!, then that's a problem. I enjoy twisting off of the main message displayed by shakespeare, obviously, but I felt the need to say it. Shakespeare apparently had great knowledge of loving relationships...I wonder how he faired with the ladies???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree! I think Othello's tragic flaw was his gullibility and trusting everyone, especially Iago. I also think there is something to be said about not being too skeptical, as that too can lead to bad things. Take Leontes, in Winter's Tale, for instance. His skepticism of everyone ended up costing him his son and his wife (for a little while).
This is a good point about trust in general. Who you put your trust in does matter, and if you don’t trust those who you’re closest to things can go wrong. Othello chooses to let somebody else convince him of his wife’s guilt without even investigating the matter himself. I don’t think his trust in his wife was very well founded if he lets somebody else influence his opinion of her with very little evidence. If he had more trust in her to begin with it would’ve been impossible for Iago to convince Othello of any of the lies he told. I can understand why Othello would lose trust in Cassio after he demoted him from his position, but with Desdemona there really isn’t any justification for him to lose any trust in her. Othello ran in to trouble when he sacrificed any trust he had in his wife for that of Iago’s.
I agree. I think Othello just chose the wrong person to trust, or maybe even the wrong people to trust. Even his choice in Desdemona doesn't really speak well as to his judge of character. As her father says, she is not necessarily the right woman to rely upon. She's a young girl who chooses to elope with a much older war hero, insulting and disrespecting her father and the society she lives in. Iago of course is a very bad choice of friend. It is easy to see Othello as the victim in this play, but he seems to be a victim of his own naïveté. He may be a brilliant warrior, but he is completely clueless in his choice of whom to trust.
Post a Comment