Saturday, December 13, 2008
OH NO! A BEAR...?
It could be that I just came to the end of a day of studying. It could be that I'm so hyped up on caffeine from all the coffee I've been drinking tonight. But either way, I felt that even now I must write a post about A Winter's Tale. When Perdita is left on the shore for the shepard and his son to find, it occurs to me that "Wow, this could be a powerful moment of the girl exiting the world she was supposed to grow up in to a world of relative unknown. In fact, I believe that this has many similarities to Star Wars when Luke Skywalker is taken to his aunt and uncle in order to escape his tyrant father Darth Vader who wants to kill him. Especially in light of the situation in which Perdita's mother had "died" along with her brother, it feels like it could have been a really emotional moment. That is until, Antigonus is chased down and mauled by a bear while everyone else on the ship they came over on crash into a cliff and die. Every time I think about this part, I just can't help but get over how incredibly ridiculous this is. I mean really, a bear mauling the guy? Shakespeare must have had a cruel sense of humor, or he really needed to come up with some abstract way for everyone who made the journey except for Perdita to die. The whole following moments of the "drop off" seem out of place and just bizarre. In a really dark way, it's actually pretty funny. I mean, it's not funny to laugh at people dying, but it's really just hard to not giggle a little at how incredibly random all of it was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Just before Antigonus goes ashore the mariner warns him of the creatures of prey that roam in Bohemia. And earlier than that Antigonus compares Leontes condemnation of the baby to the "offices" of wolves or bears. So Shakespeare sets up his killing of Antigonus. He probably kills the rest of the crew in order for Perdita to truly become a lost child. Since everyone died who knew who she was and dropped her off, there is no longer anyone to identify her. But I agree that the whole bear thing is rather ridiculous seeing as they hibernate in the Winter. Wolves would be more believable. He could have just had Antigonus lose his way in the blizzard but I suppose seeing someone chased off a stage by a “bear” would be more entertaining than having someone act out dying in a blizzard.
Post a Comment